Updated on December 8, 2023
Have you ever wondered if you can use Epsom salt on dogs? If so, keep reading because we will tell you all about it. We even analyze whether it is good or not to bathe your dog with these salts considered healthy for humans.
Scientific Answer To "Can You Use Epsom Salt On Dogs?"
Yes, you can! The specialized website PetMD explains that its use in dogs is highly recommended as a remedy for simple wounds and swellings. This is because Epsom salts help relax muscles, relieve itching, help wounds heal faster, and reduce inflammation.
In addition, it notably relieves the sensation of pain, generating a sensation of relaxation and softness. For this reason, some veterinarians recommend its use in dogs suffering from arthritis.
Epsom Salt Bath For Dogs Step-By-Step
1. Fill your dog's bathtub with hot but not burning water.
2. Add the Epsom salts following the manufacturer's directions. This is very important to avoid a very high concentration of the same in the water. Typically, 1 cup of Epsom salt is calculated per gallon of water.
3. Help your dog to enter the bathroom.
4. Use an unbreakable container to wet your dog.
5. Talk to your four-legged friend softly to help him enjoy the experience and relax.
6. Try to let your dog enjoy the bath for between 7 and 10 minutes so that the salts have time to act.
7. Dry your dog with a towel.
8. If it is winter or the temperatures are low, completely dry your dog with the help of a hairdryer.
Epsom Salt Bath For Dogs Fleas
When you are looking for home remedies to get rid of fleas, one of the most popular is salt. In fact, many people claim that salt effectively fights flea infection. What's more: it is said that Epsom salt would also help fight fleas.
However, there are no scientific studies to support these theories.
For this reason, at Give a Sh!t we do not propose an Epsom salt bath for dog fleas. Now, the truth is that Epsom salts can be used on dogs, so you can give it a try.
➡️ If you try Epsom salt to fight fleas, and it works for you, leave us a comment!!!
Can You Use Epsom Salt On Dogs Against Yeast Infection?
As with Epsom salts to combat flea infections, there is also no 100% proven data on its effectiveness in combating yeast infections.
WebMD cites the use of saltwater to reduce yeast infections while sooth the area. However, this information refers to its use in yeast infections in humans. It could be that Epsom salt also relieves the symptoms of dog's yeast infections. However, we advise you to request the opinion of your trusted vet.
Dog Epsom Salt Foot Soak
Soaking your pup's paws in Epsom saltwater can help relieve inflammation, itching, and dry skin.
If you find that your dog has dry skin or continually licks its paws, try preparing an Epsom salt bath like the one we recommended above.
Precautions When Bathing Your Dog With Epsom Salts
- If your dog or puppy is injured, you should be very careful when handling it during the bath to avoid further damaging it.
- Of course, the use of Epsom salts is external, so make sure that your furry friend does not drink the bathwater, as it could cause a stomach ache and a laxative effect.
- Pay attention to the dose of salts you use in your puppy's bathroom. Ideally, these should be diluted enough to minimize the risk of contraindications if your dog drank a little water.
- If your dog hates bathing, you can wash the affected area with Epsom salt water instead of thoroughly bathing him.
You may be interested in: Dog First Aid Kit: What You Should Have At Home
Now that you know that you can use Epsom salt on dogs, use them in situations of stress, injuries, or inflammations. You can also take advantage and prepare a bath with Epsom salt for you!
What Are Epsom Salts?
Epsom's salts are a chemical compound made up of sulfate and magnesium. In fact, they are commonly called "magnesium sulfate." However, this compound is also called English salt because it was in England where they were first made.
These salts are widely used to relieve different ailments, ranging from wounds and muscle aches to liver problems. Of course, as is always the case, not all of its alleged properties have been scientifically proven.
Where To Buy Epsom Salts?
Epsom salts can be purchased in many places, from online stores to supermarkets. In particular, we recommend you go to stores specialized in natural products so that you can obtain the highest quality Epsom salts. Of course, check that the salts are suitable for use in pets.
When Can You Use Epsom Salt On Dogs?
You can use Epsom salt on dogs in different circumstances, for example when your dog has:
- Dry skin.
- Itchy fur.
- Tender skin.
- Been operated.
- An injury.
- An inflammation somewhere.
How Long Should You Soak Your Dog In Epsom Salt?
You should soak your dog in Epsom salt for 7-10 minutes to give the salts time to work on the inflammation, sore, or skin.
How Often Can I Give My Dog An Epsom Salt Bath?
You can give your dog an Epsom salt bath a couple of times a week. In some cases, your vet may prescribe an Epsom salt soak twice a day. Consult your trusted vet about it.
Will Epsom Salt Help Itchy Skin On Dogs?
Scientific evidence on the use of Epsom salt to relieve itching in eczema is limited when it comes to dogs as well as humans. However, many people say that they feel great relief when taking an Epsom salt bath. You can test if your dog feels relieved. When in doubt, consult with the vet.