Updated on May 12, 2023
Have you decided to go green with your dog? If you are concerned about reducing your furry friend's carbon pawprint, there is no better option than to build your dog poop compost bin and start composting dog poop. Find how to do it below.
DIY Compost Bin: Compost Dog Poop At Home 💩
Tired of dodging landmines in your backyard? Don't fret! We've got just the solution to turn that doggy doo disaster into a garden goldmine. Introducing our fabulous, frugal, and fuss-free dog poop compost bin—a DIY project that'll have you barking with joy!
Picture this: a compost bin that's easy to assemble, requires minimal time, and won't break the bank. Yes, you heard it right! We're about to unleash the secrets of creating a dog poop compost bin that'll make your neighbors green with envy (and your plants green with growth!).
Discover: The Scoop On Doggie Poop And Composting
Now, let's get down to business.
- 10'x3' of hardwired mesh
- 5 twist ties
- Optional: a piece of wood for bin cover
Easy And Cheap Compost Bin Step By Step
- Form a circle with the hardwired mesh.
- Overlap the edges of the hardwired mesh by at least 5".
- Use the twist ties to attach the hardwired mesh.
- Ready! Your cheap compost bin is ready to go.
Note: the wooden lid serves as protection against rats (animals that are attracted to dog poop). It will also help keep the mix warm. However, it is not essential.
Would you like to help dogs that live on the street? At Give a Sh!t we donate 10% of all our profits to Soi Dog Foundation.
Click here, buy and help!_________________________
DIY Compost Bin For Your Balcony 🐶
Are you living the apartment life with dreams of composting your furry friend's poop on your cozy balcony? Fear not, dear compost enthusiasts, for we have the solution you've been searching for! Don't let limited space dampen your green ambitions—composting dog poop on your balcony is entirely within reach!
Imagine transforming your apartment oasis into a sustainable haven, where even the smallest spaces can become a thriving ecosystem. With our ingenious dog poop compost bin, you can turn that balcony into a little slice of environmental paradise, one scoop at a time.
Now, let's dig into the nitty-gritty of creating your very own balcony-friendly composting setup.
- 1 wood drum
- 1 milling machine
- 1 jigsaw
Wood Compost Bin Step By Step
- If your wood drum is a single piece, you will need to cut off the top to be able to add your compost ingredients. Do it carefully.
- Use the router to make holes in the wood drum. Leave the top third free of holes.
- Ready! You already have your wooden compost bin for your balcony.
How Do You Compost Dog Poop?
To compost dog poop, follow these steps:
- Create your dog poop compost bin.
- Locate your dog waste compost bin in a sunny, dry area.
- Throw the dog poop in your dog waste compost bin. If you use a poop bag, remember to check that the bag is 100 % compostable.
- Add one shove of carbon materials to every two shoves of dog poop.
- Mix well.
- Pour water until the mixture is wet.
- Continue adding ingredients until the compost is three feet deep, or your bin is full.
- Cover the compost bin.
- Check the temperature regularly and write it down.
- When the temperature drops, thoroughly stir your compost.
- Repeat the procedure each time the temperature drops.
- Your compost is ready when the temperature doesn't rise again for two weeks.
As you can see, you don't need an expensive compost tumbler to compost your dog's poop. With some hardwired mesh or a wooden drum, you have your compost bin ready to reduce your dog's waste.
You can, of course, use a plastic drum, but we do not recommend it as we seek to reduce our use of plastic.
Can You Put Dog Poop In A Compost Bin?
Dog poo is compostable and can therefore be placed in the compost bin. However, not in any compost bin, but in a special one for composting dog poop.
Dog feces contain parasites and bacteria that can be harmful to humans. Therefore, the composting process must be carried out separately from the compost prepared to fertilize plants for human consumption.
How Long Does It Take For Dog Poop To Decompose?
In general, dog poop takes about 9 weeks to break down. However, the time required may vary depending on weather conditions. The higher the temperature, the faster the decomposition. The lower the temperature, the longer it takes.
Give a Sh!t Dog Poop Bags are TÜV Austria Home Compostable Certified.
The degradation process begins in just 90 days.
What Helps Dog Poop Decompose?
Dog poop is a nitrogenous material. In order for the microbes that generate the hummus to work, it is necessary:
- Add carbon materials.
- Keep the mixture moist.
- Stir the mixture.
- Place the mixture in a sunny place.
Does Dog Feces Make Good Fertilizer?
Yes, but only for non edible-plants. Dog poop compost can be used safely as a soil additive for landscaping, as long as safety guidelines for killing bacteria in dog feces have been followed.
Is It OK To Bury Dog Poop In Your Backyard?
Burying dog poop in the backyard is a terrible idea. Dog waste contains parasites and bacteria that can infect groundwater, affect soil quality or even nearby edible plants.
Does Dog Poop Attract Rats?
Dog poop can attract rats and mice. In addition, it is a real danger to human health due to its parasites and bacteria. For this reason, dog poop should always be picked up and disposed of properly. That means throwing it in the proper trash can or composting it at home.